Skip to main content

Did He REALLY Just Ask Me That?

In my 20-ish year career in television, I have two epic fails on the interview front I will FOREVER regret.

The first transpired at a small, country church in Kentucky, where a former Christian icon who had "fallen from grace" was performing for the first time after years out of the spotlight.
He had cancelled our pre-concert interview at the last minute, so I was standing in the back of the church with my photographer. In the middle of his intimate show, he pointed me out, turned on the house lights, and asked me a few questions in front of his audience.
I considered it a green light to chat. So I asked my photographer to start rolling.
I walked toward the stage, answered his questions, and proceeded to ask the singer a few questions in return.
I then raced back to the station to turn the story for our 11pm news that night.

I thought it was a positive, lovely piece about his humbling journey back to sincere and genuine worship.

Apparently, he thought it was negative and cruel.

The next day his manager called my station managers and lambasted me for "ambushing him in the middle of his concert."
That was not at all what happened, but I still feel awful about it--especially since I was, and still am, a HUGE fan of his powerful voice.

My second fail happened when I was so star-struck interviewing actress Meg Ryan, she actually kicked me out of the interview. I was trying so hard to act cool, I ended up asking the most insulting  questions. I didn't mean to; they just came out all wrong!

So perhaps the dude who sat behind me at my kids' basketball last week didn't mean to ask me the rudest questions ever.

"Do you make a lot of money?"

"Do you get a bunch of CBS stock, 'cause it's doing really well."

"Did your husband make a lot of money when he played in the NBA?"

I actually considered answering the latter with: "Are you actually a grown-up? I usually only hear that question from first graders." Or I could've sarcastically replied, "Yeah. We're loaded."

Instead, I replied honestly with: "No. He only played a couple of years before he got hurt. NBA salaries back then are nothing like they are now."

His follow-up comment to that was icing on the cake.

"So you're poor?!" he exclaimed, incredulously.

Perhaps he was trying to be funny? I remained silent. And I couldn't wait to recount the conversation to my husband and son later.

I guess I should give this dude the benefit of the doubt and trust his gaffs were bad attempts at humor. Or perhaps he, too, was just "trying to act cool," sitting amongst three women at a boys' basketball game. (And let me tell you, the girlfriend sitting next to me is stunningly beautiful. If I were a man, I'm sure I'd be a bumbling fool too.)

It all puts to the test my favorite line from The Lord's Prayer, "Forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us."

Lord knows, I need all the grace I can get.

So rudest dude ever, I forgive you.


Gina & Tracy dish about rude comments and how they've learned to (not) react in this edition of The Real Botox Diaries.

Comments

  1. You both have a lovely exterior, and you both have beautiful souls. I am laughing at the video because I can relate to a lot of what you are saying (maybe we all can). Last May before and after my cheerleader audition, some of the comments I received were so rude and insensitive. However, the majority were so supportive and for that I am grateful. I was not used to the limelight. Still to this day, I I am flattered from all the people that argued that I had a facelift and neck lift - HA. Thank you for the compliment, because I haven't. I think the rudest comment I have EVER received was last week on FB. This guy asked me such a sexually explicit question that my mouth fell wide open. I told me my husband all I could do was go into the FB options and unfriend him. His comment bothers me even today. How could someone do that! I felt dirty and violated, but I wasn't the one that did something very wrong. Yes, people will continue to say bad things to others. Maybe they really do not think they are doing anything wrong; I don't know. Thank heavens, the world is also full of good people who care about one another. Thank you for making my day today and for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

That Little Blonde Girl

The first week of my first tv anchor job, my milk came in ten minutes before the start of the early morning newscast. My newborn daughter was just three months old. I recall standing in my nursing bra and skirt in the tiny station bathroom, frantically blow-drying the massive wet spots from my periwinkle Casual Corner blazer. That little girl turns 25 this Friday. One of my most vivid memories of Nicole Elizabeth’s childhood-- of which there are millions-- was her first day of 7th grade in a massive middle school outside of Dallas, Texas. We had moved mid-year from Phoenix, and her dad, little brother and I were walking Nicole to her new classroom. Her future classmates were sitting on the floor outside, lined up against the hallway, waiting to leave for P.E.. As we approached, one little blonde girl shouted, “New girl, sit here!” Another joined in, “No. Sit here!” And another, “What’s your name, new girl?” I was stunned--flab

That Time I Was Almost a Pop Star

Anri's Circuit of Rainbow music video (That's me on the right!) It was what I'd always imagined life would be like as a big-time singer. The massive, metallic stage opens like Moses parting the Red Sea...the recognizable guitar riff blaring throughout Tokyo's legendary Budokan arena. Five of us dancers on pedestals of varying heights, box-step and bounce...summoning the tens of thousands of screaming Japanese fans to get louder. Anticipation builds with every "Come on!" Let's go! Get it up!" we declare. Finally, the beloved Anri dances on to the stage...and the crowd goes wild... The year was 1988. I had dropped out of college for two semesters after a fighter-pilot-older-brother-of-my-high-school-friend told me he "saw Americans working" at Tokyo Disneyland . "You should go do that, Tracy!" he said, standing in my family's Tampa, Florida kitchen during Christmas break of my sophomore year. I called nearby D

The REAL Botox Diaries with Gina & Tracy: Monday Motivations

From staying sane to to keeping slim, stylish and relatively wrinkle free-- this is the diary of two working TV moms. Here are most of the links we mention in this chat session: Jeff Jamison goes viral Gina Miller's blog Hermes Wallpaper Clothes Mentor.com Cashmere Eye Shadow