Skip to main content

That Little Blonde Girl



The first week of my first tv anchor job, my milk came in
ten minutes before the start of the early morning newscast.


My newborn daughter was just three months old.


I recall standing in my nursing bra and skirt in the tiny
station bathroom, frantically blow-drying the massive wet
spots from my periwinkle Casual Corner blazer.


That little girl turns 25 this Friday.


One of my most vivid memories of Nicole Elizabeth’s
childhood--of which there are millions--
was her first day of 7th grade in a massive middle school
outside of Dallas, Texas.
We had moved mid-year from Phoenix,
and her dad, little brother and I were walking Nicole to her new classroom.



Her future classmates were sitting on the floor outside,
lined up against the hallway, waiting to leave for P.E..


As we approached, one little blonde girl shouted,
“New girl, sit here!”


Another joined in, “No. Sit here!”


And another, “What’s your name, new girl?”


I was stunned--flabbergasted by their excitement and warmth.


I had feared mean girls. Competition. A tearful first day
for my shy, little tomboy with the pageboy haircut
and giant Michael Jordan sneakers.


That day at McMath Middle School, I vowed to always be
the little blonde girl on the hallway floor.

Yesterday I (again) had that chance.
Our new 4pm anchor, who also happens to also have a 3-month-old,
started working at Channel 4.
She moved here to Nashville from Indianapolis.

Welcome Lauren Lowrey!

She reminds me so much of a former co-worker (and dear friend) in Phoenix,
I can’t help but smile every time I glance over at her
sparkling eyes and brown hair.


Embracing and supporting other women is
one of the greatest gifts we can give ourselves.


Jealousy and competition is just SO toxic--and traumatizing.
I believe we need to teach and model for our girls and boys
a kinder way to live.


As for my soon-to-be-25-year-old, working-woman Nicole,
this may be the very first birthday I haven’t shown up
with a Justin Bieber cut-out, or secretly re-decorated her room,
or flown across the country to celebrate with her.


She has a company Christmas party to attend.
I know. Fancy.  
(Plus, she was just here for Thanksgiving
and is coming home for 2 weeks at Christmas.)


So let me just state for the record a little something about
my favorite dance partner,
human light bulb of happiness and hilarity,
and all-time favorite travel buddy...
the most caring and protective sister to her two brothers
(often unbeknownst to them)...

Big brother John, Aunt Tiffany, Nicole, Baby Luke

John and Nicole all grown up
and her father’s most beloved princess:
Nicole Elizabeth Kornet is quickly transforming
from my precious little girl...into my very best friend.




As I wipe away tears typing this,
I hope every woman gets to feel as cherished as Nicole is.


I believe this kind of love can bring world peace--
or at the very least help create
a more welcoming work and school environment.


May we be all that little blonde girl on the hallway floor.



 


 

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

That Time I Was Almost a Pop Star

Anri's Circuit of Rainbow music video (That's me on the right!) It was what I'd always imagined life would be like as a big-time singer. The massive, metallic stage opens like Moses parting the Red Sea...the recognizable guitar riff blaring throughout Tokyo's legendary Budokan arena. Five of us dancers on pedestals of varying heights, box-step and bounce...summoning the tens of thousands of screaming Japanese fans to get louder. Anticipation builds with every "Come on!" Let's go! Get it up!" we declare. Finally, the beloved Anri dances on to the stage...and the crowd goes wild... The year was 1988. I had dropped out of college for two semesters after a fighter-pilot-older-brother-of-my-high-school-friend told me he "saw Americans working" at Tokyo Disneyland . "You should go do that, Tracy!" he said, standing in my family's Tampa, Florida kitchen during Christmas break of my sophomore year. I called nearby D

The REAL Botox Diaries with Gina & Tracy: Monday Motivations

From staying sane to to keeping slim, stylish and relatively wrinkle free-- this is the diary of two working TV moms. Here are most of the links we mention in this chat session: Jeff Jamison goes viral Gina Miller's blog Hermes Wallpaper Clothes Mentor.com Cashmere Eye Shadow