Skip to main content

Christmas in March

My Daughter & I: Top-down Drive to Dallas
This weekend felt like Christmas.

It's actually been that long since I had all three kids under my roof at the same time.

I was not expecting it to feel so different, so full, and so fun.

The reunion began Friday night after the 10pm news, when I picked up Luke at DFW from his school mission trip to El Salvador.
Nicole was unexpectedly granted two days off from practice, so she arrived around midnight Friday.
The next afternoon John drove in from Arkansas for a week of spring break.

For the first time in months, the driveway filled with the sounds of basketballs dribbling and kids laughing again.
The behemoth Armada was packed again for Sunday mass, followed by our regular post-church lunch at Chipotle.
Hoops in the Driveway
And by Sunday night, Mama Korn got to sip wine in the driveway, the dog in tow, while watching the kids move from basketball to football to skateboards.

I seriously savored every second, smiling the whole time.

We capped off our family weekend with steak, salad, and lively conversation by the pool. It was such a gorgeous night in Dallas/Fort Worth.


Luke Returns from El Salvador
I have missed my children so very much.

It made me extremely cognizant of the other downside to having children when you're so young yourself: they leave for college before you're ready to let them go!

So I will replay over and over the multiple conversations we shared around the kitchen island: such as John confessing his love for his girl "friend," to which Nicole grossed out; and Nicole and I reminiscing about the days I'd wash her face and brush her teeth for her IN BED, because she was too tired to walk to the bathroom.

I will continue to treasure all of these memories old and new--and pray for many, many more to come.

I must. Because life is so short. I want to seize every single second, especially with the ones who've brought such incredible joy and purpose to mine.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

That Little Blonde Girl

The first week of my first tv anchor job, my milk came in ten minutes before the start of the early morning newscast. My newborn daughter was just three months old. I recall standing in my nursing bra and skirt in the tiny station bathroom, frantically blow-drying the massive wet spots from my periwinkle Casual Corner blazer. That little girl turns 25 this Friday. One of my most vivid memories of Nicole Elizabeth’s childhood-- of which there are millions-- was her first day of 7th grade in a massive middle school outside of Dallas, Texas. We had moved mid-year from Phoenix, and her dad, little brother and I were walking Nicole to her new classroom. Her future classmates were sitting on the floor outside, lined up against the hallway, waiting to leave for P.E.. As we approached, one little blonde girl shouted, “New girl, sit here!” Another joined in, “No. Sit here!” And another, “What’s your name, new girl?” I was stunned--flab

That Time I Was Almost a Pop Star

Anri's Circuit of Rainbow music video (That's me on the right!) It was what I'd always imagined life would be like as a big-time singer. The massive, metallic stage opens like Moses parting the Red Sea...the recognizable guitar riff blaring throughout Tokyo's legendary Budokan arena. Five of us dancers on pedestals of varying heights, box-step and bounce...summoning the tens of thousands of screaming Japanese fans to get louder. Anticipation builds with every "Come on!" Let's go! Get it up!" we declare. Finally, the beloved Anri dances on to the stage...and the crowd goes wild... The year was 1988. I had dropped out of college for two semesters after a fighter-pilot-older-brother-of-my-high-school-friend told me he "saw Americans working" at Tokyo Disneyland . "You should go do that, Tracy!" he said, standing in my family's Tampa, Florida kitchen during Christmas break of my sophomore year. I called nearby D

The REAL Botox Diaries with Gina & Tracy: Monday Motivations

From staying sane to to keeping slim, stylish and relatively wrinkle free-- this is the diary of two working TV moms. Here are most of the links we mention in this chat session: Jeff Jamison goes viral Gina Miller's blog Hermes Wallpaper Clothes Mentor.com Cashmere Eye Shadow