Skip to main content

When Do You Just Give Up?

For the last two weeks my poor producer who sits behind me has been forced to listen to my dozens of daily conversations with a viewer in need of help.

Rarely do I feel comfortable stepping out to aid total strangers. I'm not an idiot and don't want to be killed!

But this particular viewer is a 54-year-old single female, working as a hostess in a local restaurant. She told me two weeks ago that she is essentially on the verge of homelessness. I remember my mother at that age. I could not turn my back on this woman.

I have called, emailed, Facebooked, and tweeted every person, pastor, and charity contact I know from several states, asking for any leads on a low-rent apartment.

So far, only two options have revealed themselves.

This woman in need moved in with the first. And she has not stopped complaining ever since. The locks, the air, the temperature, the neighborhood, the bus route. It's all bad.

She has changed the terms of the rent payment several times already.

Further, she has not returned the calls from Catholic Charities and other organizations who have reached out to her and offered financial counseling and other long-term, helpful strategies to help her rebuild her life.

On my lunch break today, I pursued the second option on her behalf: an apartment south of downtown Fort Worth. I spoke to the landlord and drove by to check out the neighborhood. Not the greatest, I must admit.

So I perused nearby areas looking for "For Rent" signs.  I spoke to a postal worker delivering mail on foot to see if he's stumbled upon available rentals. I asked several neighbors if they knew of any place for this woman.

Nope. Nothing's available.

And so I ask you this: What do I do now?
 
‘For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, a stranger and you welcomed me, naked and you clothed me, ill and you cared for me, in prison and you visited me.'

And the king will say to them in reply, 'Amen, I say to you, whatever you did for one of these least brothers of mine, you did for me.'
 
Matthew 25: 35-40


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

That Little Blonde Girl

The first week of my first tv anchor job, my milk came in ten minutes before the start of the early morning newscast. My newborn daughter was just three months old. I recall standing in my nursing bra and skirt in the tiny station bathroom, frantically blow-drying the massive wet spots from my periwinkle Casual Corner blazer. That little girl turns 25 this Friday. One of my most vivid memories of Nicole Elizabeth’s childhood-- of which there are millions-- was her first day of 7th grade in a massive middle school outside of Dallas, Texas. We had moved mid-year from Phoenix, and her dad, little brother and I were walking Nicole to her new classroom. Her future classmates were sitting on the floor outside, lined up against the hallway, waiting to leave for P.E.. As we approached, one little blonde girl shouted, “New girl, sit here!” Another joined in, “No. Sit here!” And another, “What’s your name, new girl?” I was stunned--flab

That Time I Was Almost a Pop Star

Anri's Circuit of Rainbow music video (That's me on the right!) It was what I'd always imagined life would be like as a big-time singer. The massive, metallic stage opens like Moses parting the Red Sea...the recognizable guitar riff blaring throughout Tokyo's legendary Budokan arena. Five of us dancers on pedestals of varying heights, box-step and bounce...summoning the tens of thousands of screaming Japanese fans to get louder. Anticipation builds with every "Come on!" Let's go! Get it up!" we declare. Finally, the beloved Anri dances on to the stage...and the crowd goes wild... The year was 1988. I had dropped out of college for two semesters after a fighter-pilot-older-brother-of-my-high-school-friend told me he "saw Americans working" at Tokyo Disneyland . "You should go do that, Tracy!" he said, standing in my family's Tampa, Florida kitchen during Christmas break of my sophomore year. I called nearby D

The REAL Botox Diaries with Gina & Tracy: Monday Motivations

From staying sane to to keeping slim, stylish and relatively wrinkle free-- this is the diary of two working TV moms. Here are most of the links we mention in this chat session: Jeff Jamison goes viral Gina Miller's blog Hermes Wallpaper Clothes Mentor.com Cashmere Eye Shadow