Skip to main content

Tracy's Take-aways

For almost 7 years Lisa and I would meet for coffee a couple of times a month near my Chandler, Arizona home.

We connect at the heart level and continue to help each other grow in our professional lives, something that makes our friendship unique.

So when Lisa invited me to Willow Creek Association's Global Leadership Summit, hosted by the Mesa church her husband pastors, I was all in.

For two full days last week, we listened to a dozen different lectures on life, learning, relationships, and how it all affects leadership.

I had eagerly anticipated Dr.Brene Brown's topic "Daring Greatly" and was not disappointed when this woman, made world famous after her Ted Talk went viral, spoke about "The 3 Irreducible Needs of People."

I was delighted by the content and delivery of one Patrick Lencioni, who nailed his topic, "How to Lose Your Best People."

And I marveled at celebrity speakers General Colin Powell and Mark Burnett, executive producer of Survivor, The Voice, and The Bible

I love to learn.

It is why I love my career so much.

And it is one of my five core needs, something else Lisa helped me identify last week during our time together.

The Summit is something I will likely attend yearly from now on, as it is exponentially more meaningful with my girlfriend Lisa, laughing and note-taking at my side.

Since you may have missed out this year, here are some of my personal highlights from the conference.


Global Leadership Summit 2013: Lead Where You Are

*How to Lose Your Best People--Anonymity, Irrelevance, & Immeasurement (Patrick Lencioni):

      Good people don't want to work for a company where they're not known.

      Managers should share what your job means to the organization.

      People need a way to know they're doing a good job.

      Money is just a "satisfier." These 3 are "drivers."

*A good leader infects his people with perpetual optimism (Gen. Colin Powell)

 *Good leaders multiply the intelligence and capability of those around them. (Liz Wiseman)

  We must ask ourselves, "How might I, with the best possible intentions, be shutting down our best people and be accidental diminishers?"

 *Choose your companions before you choose your road. (Mark Burnett)

 *3 Irreducible Needs of People: To be seen & loved, to belong, to be brave. (Dr. Brene Brown)

  The #1 reason people give for leaving an organization: feedback. People feel unseen.

   You can choose courage or choose comfort, but you can't have both. 
 
  To be courageous, you must have 2 things:

   1. absolute clarity of your values (for me, that's love, family, faith, adventure, and intellectual stimulation)

   2. someone who loves you despite your imperfections


*Dr. Brene Brown's definition of love, based on 1500 pieces of data from her research:

    Letting ourselves be deeply seen and known with trust, kindness, affection, and respect.

           It is something that's grown and nurtured.

           It is something that's cultivated between two people only when there is self-love already present.

           Shame, blame, disrespect, betrayal, and the absence of affection damage love at the very root.
 
Hope these concepts give you a little something to think (and comment) about!
 
 

 

 

 

 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

That Little Blonde Girl

The first week of my first tv anchor job, my milk came in ten minutes before the start of the early morning newscast. My newborn daughter was just three months old. I recall standing in my nursing bra and skirt in the tiny station bathroom, frantically blow-drying the massive wet spots from my periwinkle Casual Corner blazer. That little girl turns 25 this Friday. One of my most vivid memories of Nicole Elizabeth’s childhood-- of which there are millions-- was her first day of 7th grade in a massive middle school outside of Dallas, Texas. We had moved mid-year from Phoenix, and her dad, little brother and I were walking Nicole to her new classroom. Her future classmates were sitting on the floor outside, lined up against the hallway, waiting to leave for P.E.. As we approached, one little blonde girl shouted, “New girl, sit here!” Another joined in, “No. Sit here!” And another, “What’s your name, new girl?” I was stunned--flab

That Time I Was Almost a Pop Star

Anri's Circuit of Rainbow music video (That's me on the right!) It was what I'd always imagined life would be like as a big-time singer. The massive, metallic stage opens like Moses parting the Red Sea...the recognizable guitar riff blaring throughout Tokyo's legendary Budokan arena. Five of us dancers on pedestals of varying heights, box-step and bounce...summoning the tens of thousands of screaming Japanese fans to get louder. Anticipation builds with every "Come on!" Let's go! Get it up!" we declare. Finally, the beloved Anri dances on to the stage...and the crowd goes wild... The year was 1988. I had dropped out of college for two semesters after a fighter-pilot-older-brother-of-my-high-school-friend told me he "saw Americans working" at Tokyo Disneyland . "You should go do that, Tracy!" he said, standing in my family's Tampa, Florida kitchen during Christmas break of my sophomore year. I called nearby D

The REAL Botox Diaries with Gina & Tracy: Monday Motivations

From staying sane to to keeping slim, stylish and relatively wrinkle free-- this is the diary of two working TV moms. Here are most of the links we mention in this chat session: Jeff Jamison goes viral Gina Miller's blog Hermes Wallpaper Clothes Mentor.com Cashmere Eye Shadow