Skip to main content

Diary of a Sooner Mom


The lights dim and the video rolls. Out from the tunnel the team emerges.

There is my Nicole, dressed in red University of Oklahoma warm-ups, curled hair pulled back in a ponytail with a thick, black headband to hold it all in place.

I watched my daughter play an official home game as a Sooner last Sunday night.

It was the first I’ve been able to attend so far this season.

She played wonderfully.

And I didn’t shed a tear!

Afterwards our family went to dinner and proceeded to engage in passionate conversation, which is simply a nice way of describing our typical Kornet loud, often confrontational, dialogue. We usually linger for a good hour almost every time we gather around the table as a family, talking religion and sports, stories from school, questions about sex, drinking, and other tricky topics. And we laugh. A lot.

But during this particular talk fest, I found myself feelings things I’d never felt before: I witnessed my daughter maturing right before my eyes, especially when she spoke about the new friends she’s making in college. She is meeting girls with diverse religious backgrounds and values. She is learning to love and accept the good in people, even if they indulge in activities she doesn’t think are right. She is experiencing the pain of believing in what’s right and wrong, and being one of the few trying to act on those beliefs.

We finished the evening at a local custard shop , where Nicole and I were laughing so hard, we literally almost fell over while standing on the sidewalk, saying our goodbyes.

She shared how her teammates make fun of how boisterously she laughs and admitted: “Mom, I laugh just like you. I see myself becoming more like you every day!”

But my favorite moment was watching her 6’9″ daddy pick up his 6’1″ little girl, hug her with all his might, and tell her how much he loves her, how well she played that afternoon, and how proud he is of her.

Luke then followed, leaning down with a bear hug and a “Grandma kiss” on the cheek, which triggered more laughs.

I leapt in with a huge hug and kiss, too.

I could have stayed there all night on that sidewalk–all three of us surrounding Nicole with the kind of love every child should experience.

For me, one of the greatest gifts of motherhood is watching my children enjoy a childhood I could have only dreamed about. And I am oh, so grateful for this second chance. 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

That Little Blonde Girl

The first week of my first tv anchor job, my milk came in ten minutes before the start of the early morning newscast. My newborn daughter was just three months old. I recall standing in my nursing bra and skirt in the tiny station bathroom, frantically blow-drying the massive wet spots from my periwinkle Casual Corner blazer. That little girl turns 25 this Friday. One of my most vivid memories of Nicole Elizabeth’s childhood-- of which there are millions-- was her first day of 7th grade in a massive middle school outside of Dallas, Texas. We had moved mid-year from Phoenix, and her dad, little brother and I were walking Nicole to her new classroom. Her future classmates were sitting on the floor outside, lined up against the hallway, waiting to leave for P.E.. As we approached, one little blonde girl shouted, “New girl, sit here!” Another joined in, “No. Sit here!” And another, “What’s your name, new girl?” I was stunned--flab

That Time I Was Almost a Pop Star

Anri's Circuit of Rainbow music video (That's me on the right!) It was what I'd always imagined life would be like as a big-time singer. The massive, metallic stage opens like Moses parting the Red Sea...the recognizable guitar riff blaring throughout Tokyo's legendary Budokan arena. Five of us dancers on pedestals of varying heights, box-step and bounce...summoning the tens of thousands of screaming Japanese fans to get louder. Anticipation builds with every "Come on!" Let's go! Get it up!" we declare. Finally, the beloved Anri dances on to the stage...and the crowd goes wild... The year was 1988. I had dropped out of college for two semesters after a fighter-pilot-older-brother-of-my-high-school-friend told me he "saw Americans working" at Tokyo Disneyland . "You should go do that, Tracy!" he said, standing in my family's Tampa, Florida kitchen during Christmas break of my sophomore year. I called nearby D

The REAL Botox Diaries with Gina & Tracy: Monday Motivations

From staying sane to to keeping slim, stylish and relatively wrinkle free-- this is the diary of two working TV moms. Here are most of the links we mention in this chat session: Jeff Jamison goes viral Gina Miller's blog Hermes Wallpaper Clothes Mentor.com Cashmere Eye Shadow