Skip to main content

5 Days to Learn Spanish: Day 5

Can a person learn a foreign language in just 5 days?

After one week in Spanish immersion school in Valencia, Spain, I can officially tell you the answer is yes, but not very well.

I just completed my last 5-hour day with 4 incredible professors and 2 adorable classmates.

I am wiped.

I am thrilled it is Friday.

And I am so darn happy I gave it my best shot.

-------------
I feel a bit like I did at my high school graduation, knowing I will miss Jules and Louis now that school is over.

I snap some cute photos and shoot some quick video of our crazy conversation instructor, Professora Goretti. I don't want to forget these faces and the laughs we had making up words and putting sentences together.

Professora Goretti, Jules & Luis

I struggle today with my recall ability. I keep using Italian words.

I blame it on the fun conversation with the Italian family in the bike shop yesterday. However, I'm quite sure I hit a wall concentrating so hard for so many hours on such little sleep.

On this final day I realize I am not going to use the Spanish word for bath mat anytime soon. (It's la alfombrilla, in case you're wondering.) So I let myself off the hook on the note-taking and try to just LISTEN, soaking it all in, appreciating these final minutes of class.
------------
My favorite part of today: learning social media terms used in Spain

Twitter is pronounced "tweet-er"
To text is "chat-ee-ar" (to chat)
WhatsApp is used as a verb here and pronounced "whas-app-eh-ar"
To google something is also a verb, pronounced "goog-leh-ar"
----------
So was this an effective experience in learning Spanish?
Absolutely.
I truly believe I can now read and understand the language...in present tense, that is!

Hey. That's more than I knew last week!

I will leave you with a portion of my Murrow-worthy composition of "What's in My House." (Please pardon the lack of accent marks; can't figure out how to type those yet.)

En mi casa hay 3 habitaciones:
Un dormitorio grande y dos habitaciones de invitations.
En mi cocina nosotros camemos en la barra. No hay un salon-comedor y no hay un studio.
En mi casa tambien hay un salon con paredes blancas, tres banos, y una terraza
pequena.
--------
Terminado!
Hasta La Vista, Valencia!


















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

That Little Blonde Girl

The first week of my first tv anchor job, my milk came in ten minutes before the start of the early morning newscast. My newborn daughter was just three months old. I recall standing in my nursing bra and skirt in the tiny station bathroom, frantically blow-drying the massive wet spots from my periwinkle Casual Corner blazer. That little girl turns 25 this Friday. One of my most vivid memories of Nicole Elizabeth’s childhood-- of which there are millions-- was her first day of 7th grade in a massive middle school outside of Dallas, Texas. We had moved mid-year from Phoenix, and her dad, little brother and I were walking Nicole to her new classroom. Her future classmates were sitting on the floor outside, lined up against the hallway, waiting to leave for P.E.. As we approached, one little blonde girl shouted, “New girl, sit here!” Another joined in, “No. Sit here!” And another, “What’s your name, new girl?” I was stunned--flab

That Time I Was Almost a Pop Star

Anri's Circuit of Rainbow music video (That's me on the right!) It was what I'd always imagined life would be like as a big-time singer. The massive, metallic stage opens like Moses parting the Red Sea...the recognizable guitar riff blaring throughout Tokyo's legendary Budokan arena. Five of us dancers on pedestals of varying heights, box-step and bounce...summoning the tens of thousands of screaming Japanese fans to get louder. Anticipation builds with every "Come on!" Let's go! Get it up!" we declare. Finally, the beloved Anri dances on to the stage...and the crowd goes wild... The year was 1988. I had dropped out of college for two semesters after a fighter-pilot-older-brother-of-my-high-school-friend told me he "saw Americans working" at Tokyo Disneyland . "You should go do that, Tracy!" he said, standing in my family's Tampa, Florida kitchen during Christmas break of my sophomore year. I called nearby D

The REAL Botox Diaries with Gina & Tracy: Monday Motivations

From staying sane to to keeping slim, stylish and relatively wrinkle free-- this is the diary of two working TV moms. Here are most of the links we mention in this chat session: Jeff Jamison goes viral Gina Miller's blog Hermes Wallpaper Clothes Mentor.com Cashmere Eye Shadow