Skip to main content

Darkness Detox


If you want a quick pick-me-up, buy a nun her morning Starbucks.


I went skipping through the Nashville airport, after the sweet sister behind me blessed me for it Friday morning.

It was 5:45am. My daughter had just boarded a plane back to LAX.

My husband was heading to Louisville to coach his high school girls in a weekend basketball tournament.

Coach Kornet with his Harpeth Hall Varsity Girls

I was heading to NYC for a last-minute, musical fix with some girlfriends.

Bucket List Billy Joel, Madison Square Garden

It was probably midway through May sweeps last month when I realized I had to escape the heaviness of the news breaking all around us. Just for a weekend or two. Something to put some positive balance back in my life.

I tell you what, speaking such dark details, out loud, for hours and hours on end, used to go in one ear and out the other. But the terror attacks, drug-related crimes, and acts of hate and abuse are really starting to get to me.

So these last two weekends, I have enjoyed some soul soothing: first, while speaking at the 10th anniversary banquet for a wonderful organization called Hearts for Homes, a Denton, Texas-based non-profit that repairs indigent seniors' homes.

Hearts for Homes 10th Anniversary, Lewisville, Texas
The stories of hope, love, generosity, and God actively answering prayers and meeting needs were incredibly inspiring. They touched the hearts of everyone assembled in the Lewisville Hilton Garden Inn ballroom, which donated the lovely space and all of the food. Major shout out to them!

I packed in multiple coffee and happy hours with girlfriends and former colleagues before and after the event. It was heavenly.

Finally got to meet baby Max!

Secondly, this morning I returned from a musical-infused weekend with girlfriends in New York City. Perfect weather. Fantastic vibe. An incredible few days.

Got to see the Broadway show Waitress, with music by Sara Bareilles, the jazzy pop star's first musical. Two high school girlfriends, with whom I sang in concert chorus and show choir, joined me.

And then there was Friday night and last-minute tickets to Billy Joel at Madison Square Garden.

Belting out "Uptown Girl"
"'cause it just may be a lunatic you're looking for"

The whole weekend I wanted to burst open with the joy of a 15-year-old.


I knew this girl at age 15, when we didn't need readers!
As much as life has been off-the-chain fun with my kids filtering through our home more often than ever before, a healthy dose of artsy enrichment is greatly needed now and then.

That lesson was reiterated by multiple medical experts, in fact, in our first Channel 4 prime time health special last week.

They call it "self-care." I call it critical -- both to answering my own calling and to feeling God's reassurance that He is in control. Light will always overcome the darkness.

We must trust and know that He's got this, world. In HIS hands.

No matter what news breaks.

Friends forever

Comments

  1. Well said my friend. Our weekend was some "tank filling" fun and deep talk too. It is so important to take the time out and just play.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

That Little Blonde Girl

The first week of my first tv anchor job, my milk came in ten minutes before the start of the early morning newscast. My newborn daughter was just three months old. I recall standing in my nursing bra and skirt in the tiny station bathroom, frantically blow-drying the massive wet spots from my periwinkle Casual Corner blazer. That little girl turns 25 this Friday. One of my most vivid memories of Nicole Elizabeth’s childhood-- of which there are millions-- was her first day of 7th grade in a massive middle school outside of Dallas, Texas. We had moved mid-year from Phoenix, and her dad, little brother and I were walking Nicole to her new classroom. Her future classmates were sitting on the floor outside, lined up against the hallway, waiting to leave for P.E.. As we approached, one little blonde girl shouted, “New girl, sit here!” Another joined in, “No. Sit here!” And another, “What’s your name, new girl?” I was stunned--flab

That Time I Was Almost a Pop Star

Anri's Circuit of Rainbow music video (That's me on the right!) It was what I'd always imagined life would be like as a big-time singer. The massive, metallic stage opens like Moses parting the Red Sea...the recognizable guitar riff blaring throughout Tokyo's legendary Budokan arena. Five of us dancers on pedestals of varying heights, box-step and bounce...summoning the tens of thousands of screaming Japanese fans to get louder. Anticipation builds with every "Come on!" Let's go! Get it up!" we declare. Finally, the beloved Anri dances on to the stage...and the crowd goes wild... The year was 1988. I had dropped out of college for two semesters after a fighter-pilot-older-brother-of-my-high-school-friend told me he "saw Americans working" at Tokyo Disneyland . "You should go do that, Tracy!" he said, standing in my family's Tampa, Florida kitchen during Christmas break of my sophomore year. I called nearby D

The REAL Botox Diaries with Gina & Tracy: Monday Motivations

From staying sane to to keeping slim, stylish and relatively wrinkle free-- this is the diary of two working TV moms. Here are most of the links we mention in this chat session: Jeff Jamison goes viral Gina Miller's blog Hermes Wallpaper Clothes Mentor.com Cashmere Eye Shadow