Skip to main content

The Meaning of Life


Nicole & dad heading to dinner
I believe I have an answer to the enigmatic question plaguing me of late, "What is the meaning of life?"
Before I share my answer, I must share some of the beautiful, brilliant reflections you posted on Facebook:

The goal is to love as many people as possible before you die. No matter what.

Love God, love people.

Life is the greatest gift there is.. because with it comes love, laughter, friends, family, challenges, peaks, valleys, mistakes, forgiveness and everything in between. Life should never be taken for granted and should always be lived to the fullest!!

I think the meaning is the actual search for the meaning.

Live each day with your eyes WIDE OPEN and take in every inch & second, knowing that anything that happens, at any moment, could change your life, so you'd better be present...don't waste time doing anything that doesn't fill you up inside...experience new things, meet new people.

Did you notice the recurring themes? Love, life, and the actual search for meaning were mentioned in almost all of the dozens of responses I read. 


Glory Days-in' it on Vandy's campus
And here is why I thank you for answering this question in the first place.

Last weekend not only did my son, Luke, graduate high school (and give a wonderful Salutatorian speech!), but my siblings and family members from Florida and Chicago flew in to celebrate my father's 70th birthday the following night. A few hours after that, my husband, son, daughter, and I left for Nashville to move my fore-mentioned son into college. 

Your insight on "the meaning of life" sparked in me a major, mental shift--motivating me to try and savor every milestone, conversation, and celebration. I also embraced what I now claim as my own answer:

Enjoy every sandwich.

Okay, I admit it's not original. I've seen it before. But only now do I actually get what it means.

Enjoy every sandwich.

What a simple, magnificent way to remember to stop and savor life with the people we love. To enjoy our kids, our commutes, our jobs, and every conversation.

Yet I must couple my answer with a second component, as I am finding myself struggling with contentedness these days, a "neediness" as I discussed with my little brother via text today.

He put words to my exact feelings (or his wife did, as Nate was driving):

"Nate's definition of "neediness" isn't a bad thing. It's a constant need to explore, in all contexts of the word...physical (travel), emotional (personal and interpersonal), spiritual, etc.. It's a striving. He's always trying to improve, and he's restless without improvement. On the downside, it makes for a general discontentment when things are static. We try to find a balance."

Wow. Can you relate? Or are we the only ones seeking a new meaning of life every day?
Let's keep asking the question.

Grandpa Jim & his "Exceptional Grandchildren"







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

That Little Blonde Girl

The first week of my first tv anchor job, my milk came in ten minutes before the start of the early morning newscast. My newborn daughter was just three months old. I recall standing in my nursing bra and skirt in the tiny station bathroom, frantically blow-drying the massive wet spots from my periwinkle Casual Corner blazer. That little girl turns 25 this Friday. One of my most vivid memories of Nicole Elizabeth’s childhood-- of which there are millions-- was her first day of 7th grade in a massive middle school outside of Dallas, Texas. We had moved mid-year from Phoenix, and her dad, little brother and I were walking Nicole to her new classroom. Her future classmates were sitting on the floor outside, lined up against the hallway, waiting to leave for P.E.. As we approached, one little blonde girl shouted, “New girl, sit here!” Another joined in, “No. Sit here!” And another, “What’s your name, new girl?” I was stunned--flab

That Time I Was Almost a Pop Star

Anri's Circuit of Rainbow music video (That's me on the right!) It was what I'd always imagined life would be like as a big-time singer. The massive, metallic stage opens like Moses parting the Red Sea...the recognizable guitar riff blaring throughout Tokyo's legendary Budokan arena. Five of us dancers on pedestals of varying heights, box-step and bounce...summoning the tens of thousands of screaming Japanese fans to get louder. Anticipation builds with every "Come on!" Let's go! Get it up!" we declare. Finally, the beloved Anri dances on to the stage...and the crowd goes wild... The year was 1988. I had dropped out of college for two semesters after a fighter-pilot-older-brother-of-my-high-school-friend told me he "saw Americans working" at Tokyo Disneyland . "You should go do that, Tracy!" he said, standing in my family's Tampa, Florida kitchen during Christmas break of my sophomore year. I called nearby D

The REAL Botox Diaries with Gina & Tracy: Monday Motivations

From staying sane to to keeping slim, stylish and relatively wrinkle free-- this is the diary of two working TV moms. Here are most of the links we mention in this chat session: Jeff Jamison goes viral Gina Miller's blog Hermes Wallpaper Clothes Mentor.com Cashmere Eye Shadow